Working in partnership with you to ensure your child’s safety is extremely important to us at Wingfield Academy. Due to the location of our school, we are surrounded by busy roads which are also major bus routes into and out of Greasbrough, Rotherham and Sheffield. Unfortunately, over recent years a number of Wingfield pupils have been involved in road traffic accidents.
The end of the school day is always extremely busy and our children leave the school premises and head off in a multitude of directions, many of which involve the crossing of busy roads.
We are very aware that many pupils have to cross Fenton Road in order to get home. We ask that any parents/carers of these children reinforce basic Road Safety Awareness on a regular basis in order to minimise the possibility of road traffic accidents occurring.
A common sense approach should always prevail and it is essential that your child/children appreciate the importance of basic Road Safety.
The Green Cross Code
- Find the safest place to cross
- Stop just before you get to the curb
- Look all around for traffic and listen
- If traffic is coming, let it pass
- When it is safe, go straight across the road – DO NOT RUN
- Do not cross between parked cars
How you can help your child
- Set a good example
- Point out dangerous places to cross on local roads
- Always use pedestrian crossings
- Talk about the importance of NOT using a mobile phone or texting while crossing the road
- Remind your child that they cannot hear traffic if listening to music through earphones or see it properly if wearing a large hood.
We are working in partnership with South Yorkshire Police in order to keep our children fully informed of the dangers of busy roads and how to keep themselves safe.
Please help us to keep your child/children safe by making Road Safety a priority.
A large number of resources are available on the Think! website, you can access these by clicking the logo at the top or by pointing your internet browser to: