Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance
We will inspire and engage our students in planning their own career path and increase their motivation to aim high using labour market information and online guidance tools.
We will engage with a large number of employers and other organisations in a number of ways to give students real life experiences of the world of work. We will inspire students to achieve their maximum potential in order to give them access to opportunities they aspire to both academically and personally in relation to their future.
Your personal Careers Advisor is Joanne Sorby who is based within the Academy. Students can make an individual appointment to see her by either informing their form tutors or Year Team Leader. An individual appointment will then be made for them in school. They can also access support every lunchtime in the Careers Corner.
- Raising aspirations for University. Access to inspiring individuals and organisations in school and at other establishments.
- What Am I Like?
- My Skills and Qualities.
- Use Of Start an online careers resource.
- Why do people work?
- Choosing subject options.
- Decision Making
- Use of Start an online careers resource.
- Different types of work.
- Labour Market information
- Use of Start an online careers resource.
- Qualification Levels
- Job Applications
- Interview Skills
- Higher Education/Finance
- CV writing workshops
- College Applications
- Personal Statements
- One to one guidance appointments
Gatsby benchmarks will be reviewed regularly throughout the academic year to help us meet all of the 8 benchmarks by the end of 2020.
We will monitor the impact of our action plan and the CEIAG we deliver through feedback from students and staff. All activities will be reviewed to ensure all goals and aims are met.
Other useful careers websites include:
- www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk website offering all types of careers related information including local labour market information, CV writing, skills and qualifications required for all types of careers, interview skills, options post 16 and job hunting skills.
- https://icould.com offering careers videos and job information.
- https://www.gov.uk/topic/further-education-skills/apprenticeships National Apprenticeship Service.
- https://www.eclips-online.co.uk - eCLIPS
Information for parents
Investing in your Son / Daughter's Future
Research has consistently shown that parents and carers are the most influential factor in students' decisions about the future. Your support and encouragement influences their choices, and the guidance you provide will be invaluable to their eventual achievements and career pathways.
Here are some very simple and practical steps you can take to support your child in their decision making.
- Talk to them about their current educational attainment and estimated grades and encourage them to aim high (the skills shortages in the future will be in higher level jobs).
- Discuss where they want to be and research how to get there - check out the links above for ideas.
- Encourage them to seek out the advice and experiences they need to help them achieve their goals.
- Help them with the steps they need to take.
Together with a range of career professionals, businesses and training providers we will support your son's / daughter's career development in a number of ways including:
- Information and discussion in lessons and assemblies to help them make decisions about their future.
- Activities and events.
- Access to careers advisers in a variety of ways including individual meetings, drop-in sessions, enrichment activities, parents and options evenings and on results day.
- Careers information and computer-based programmes.
- Information and updates on notice boards, screens and website.
You are welcome to attend your child's careers meetings and we encourage you to contact Wingfield Academy if you need any more help or information.
Wingfield Academy is seeking to form business partnerships to better prepare our students for the world of work and to support them in gaining the skills they, and businesses, need.
We are always on the lookout for employers who have ideas to support our students. If you think you and your business can help, them please get in touch.
How can a School / Business partnership support WIngfield Academy?
- Bring real life careers context into the classroom;
- Bring a better understanding of Labour and Careers Market Information;
- Develop student skills;
- Develop teachers knowledge of other careers through interacting with employers;
- Reduce barriers for SEND, vulnerable & disadvantaged pupils;
- Enhance academic learning across the curriculum, providing a deeper insight and understanding of the subject;
How can a School/Business partnership support local employers?
- Allow you to identify, shape and develop your next generation of workers;
- Give young people an idea of the variety of job and career opportunities that your business can provide;
- Use school activities to enhance and develop the transferable skills of your own staff (e.g. organising, developing, leading, presenting);
- Involve pupils in real-time, real-world activities that could benefit your business;
- Test out / trial new products / services aimed at young consumers by creating focus groups in the school;
If you would like to help develop the employ-ability skills of our pupils as well as giving them an awareness of career roles, then please contact us.
Open Events at Local Colleges
RNN College, Town Centre Campus, Rotherham
Wed 13th Nov 2019 3.30pm-6.30pm
Saturday 18th Jan 2020 10am-12pm
Wed 4th March 2020 3.30pm-6.30pm
RNN College, Dearne Valley Campus
Wed 6th Nov 2019 3.30pm-6.30pm
Sat 25th Jan 2020 10am-12pm
RNN College, Rother Valley Campus, Dinnington
Wed 23rd Oct 2019 3.30pm-6.30pm
Sat 1st Feb 2020 10am-12pm
Thomas Rotherham College
Wed 6th Nov 2019 3.30pm-7pm
Mon 3rd Feb 2020 3.30pm-7pm
The Sheffield College City, Hillsborough,Peaks and Olive Grove Campus:
Thurs 24th Oct 2019 4pm-7pm
Thurs 21st Nov 2019 4pm-7pm
Tues 28th Jan 2020 4pm-7pm
Mon 9th March 2020 4pm-7pm
Wed 16th October 2019 4pm-7pm
Sat 23rd Nov 2019 11am-2pm
Thurs 30th Jan 2020 4pm-7pm
Wickersley Sixth Form
Thurs 14th Nov 2019 5pm-7.30pm
Wath Sixth Form
Thurs 14th Nov 2019 6.30pm-8.30pm
Askham Bryan College
Saturday Open Events
Sat 9th Nov 2019
Sat 1st Feb 2020
Sat 21st March 2020
Wed 6th Nov 2019 6pm-8pm
Tues 11th Feb 2020 5pm-7pm
New College, Doncaster
Tues 12th Nov 2019 4.30pm-7.30pm
Thurs 13th Feb 2020 4.30pm-7pm