Your personal Careers Advisor is Joanne Sorby who is based within the Academy. Students can make an individual appointment to see her by either informing their form tutors or Year Team Leader. An individual appointment will then be made for them in school. They can also access support every lunchtime in Room 32.
Support offered includes:
- Individual Guidance on planning and choosing a career
- Options in Year 8
- Completing application forms for college
- Job hunting skills
- CV writing
- Interview Techniques
- College courses
- University courses
- Student finance
- Support with job applications.
Students can also action the following steps to support their career planning process:
- Talk to teachers, form tutors, parents/carers, family members, friends about jobs/careers they are interested in.
- Use ECLIPS to research career ideas further and obtain information about any type of work. Access is by going onto the website ECLIPS and entering password S61 4AU.#
- Use START and TRACK by registering on www.startprofile.com and entering code 36465. This offers students the opportunity to match up jobs with their skills and interests in order to help them make an informed decision.
- Explore college/sixth from courses by using www.ucasprogress to search and apply for courses in their local area.
- Explore university courses and student finances by using www.ucas
- Find out more about Apprenticeship opportunities by using https://www.gov.uk/topic/further-education-skills/apprenticeships
Other useful careers websites include:
- www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk website offering all types of careers related information including local labour market information, CV writing, skills and qualifications required for all types of careers, interview skills, options post 16 and job hunting skills.
- https://icould.com offering careers videos and job information.
Open Events at Local Colleges
- Rotherham College Dinnington Campus
Wed 24 th Oct 2018 3.30pm-6.30pm
- Thomas Rotherham College
Tues 6th Nov 3.30pm-7pm
- Dearne Valley College
Wed 7 th Nov 2018 3.30pm-6.30pm